Canadians Working from Home – We Can Help

International Job Offer? We Can Help!

So, you’re talking to a hiring manager or recruiter from outside Canada… we can help!

Canadian Payroll Services is an Employer of Record that specializes in helping Canadian remote workers who’ve received job offers from US or global employers. We hire you on behalf of your employer and handle payroll, taxes and Canadian compliance, while they direct your day-to-day work.

A happy man and woman
A woman looking at a laptop

Can I Legally Work for an International Company?

Yes, you can! As a Canadian, you have two options when it comes to working for an international company:

  1. Incorporate and work as a contractor;
  2. Work through an Employer of Record and be hired as an employee.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each option.

If you opt to incorporate and work as a contractor, you will be responsible for making your own CPP contributions, registering to make EI contributions, and for handling business and personal taxes. You will also be responsible for invoicing your client, staying compliant with Canadian tax laws, and potentially creating a service agreement. And keep in mind, not every role can be filled by a contractor.

Contractors are not employees. They provide specific and often project based resources to companies. They provide their own tools and training, are ineligible for promotions and most benefits, and aren’t protected by employment standards.  

If you choose to incorporate, it should be for the long term, not just for one opportunity. Contractors who have just one client, or who are treated incorrectly as employees in-all-but-name, are vulnerable to misclassification and tax evasion.

On the other hand, if you opt to work through an Employer of Record, like Canadian Payroll Services, you will be hired as an employee. We’ll take care of taxes, contracts, and HR, and help your employer handle things the right way.

What Is an Employer of Record?

Employers of Record (EOR) like Canadian Payroll Services make it possible for Canadian remote workers to work for global companies that don’t have an entity in Canada. While your new employer directs your day-to-day work, we manage your payroll, health and financial benefits, tax deductions and forms, compliance in your province and provide HR support.

When your employer engages an EOR, you will be hired as a full-time employee without having to relocate.

A happy man and woman
Happy man shaking hands with a woman

If I Am Hired by an Employer of Record, Who Is My Employer?

Employers of Record hire employees on behalf of other companies that do not have a Canadian entity.  When you are hired through Canadian Payroll Services, you become our legal employee. We are responsible for delivering payroll on time, providing mandatory health and safety training, remitting taxes to the government on your behalf, and ensuring compliance during your tenure with us.

Our client, the company we are hiring you on behalf of, directs you day-to-day. They are responsible for your training and direction, and performance management. As their employee you:

  • Are eligible for raises, promotions, and performance bonuses.
  • Are able to represent the company in negotiations and contracts, if that is part of your role.
  • Will receive regular bi-weekly payments directly deposited in your bank account, with all deductions made at source.
  • Will be able to participate in our employee perk programs.
  • May be eligible to participate in their employee stock option plans, issued directly by them.

We Handle Compliance

Canadian Payroll Services is a local Employer of Record. Our in-country staff of HR and payroll administrators are certified in Canadian payroll and employment standards, and we work with the best employment lawyers in Canada!

  • Employment contracts that conform to provincial legislation and labour codes.
  • Workers’ compensation.
  • Quebec language law compliance.
  • Tax remittance and forms.
  • Advice on employment standards.
  • Employment law bulletins.
Two professional men with a tablet


Our Human Resources and Payroll managers are certified, experienced, experts in Canadian employment and payroll rules.

Human Resources Professionals Association Logo
National Payroll Institute Logo
A woman shaking hands with a man

You Will Be Hired

Canadian Payroll Services will work with you and your employer to ensure that you are hired the right way.

  • Avoid worker misclassification.
  • Your Canadian salary paid in Canadian dollars.
  • We provide accurate and on-time payroll.
  • Your taxes will be deducted and remitted on time.
  • We provide tax forms, employment letters, and support.

Manage Time and Money in Our HRIS


Hired by a small business? We can manage the whole expense process in our employee portal. Simply start an expense report, upload receipts, and submit it for approval. Once your manager approves it, a reimbursement is added to your next paycheque.

Time Off

Use our portal to book time off, whether vacation or sick days, and check your available balance. Our employee management portal can handle even the most complex time off policies, and is free to use, even if you’re a team of one!

Our Employee Benefits and Perks

Employee Health Insurance

We help our clients put together custom health, wellness, and retirement packages that make sense for their unique business needs. During the onboarding process they can choose from:

  • Health Insurance and Extended Benefits
  • Employee Assistance Plan
  • Health Spending Accounts
  • Retirement Savings Matches
Three happy persons
An older couple receiving advice from an executive man

Group RRSP and Retirement Savings Options

Financial wellness is more important to workers than ever. When you are onboarded with Canadian Payroll Services you will have access to a suite of retirement savings tools, including expert financial advice and access to our Group RRSP.

How Do I Get Started with an Employer of Record?

If Employer of Record sounds like the solution that you and your new employer are looking for, reach out today to speak with one of our sales representatives. We will walk your client through our offering and put together a package that meets their unique business needs.


Work Remotely in Canada

Who Can Work Remotely in Canada 

Canada is a growing hub for remote work, with 19% of the population working remotely full time and 6% working...

The T2200 Canada Form and Claiming Work From Home Expenses

The T2200 Canada Form and Claiming Work From Home Expenses

If you have spent a majority of your time working remotely from home, you may be eligible to deduct home...

Remote Work Newslettter

Every month we share news, tips, and resources for remote workers!

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Frequently Asked Questions

Employees hired through an Employer of Record do not have to incorporate a business!  

If you are hired as an employee through an EOR, you are and will be treated as an employee. You will receive regular paycheques, directly deposited into your bank account and we will deduct and remit taxes, CPP, and EI on your behalf. We will provide digital paystubs and tax forms including a work from home T2200 expense form.

When you are hired by an Employer of Record, you pay taxes where you live not where your foreign employer operates. As a Canadian remote worker, you pay taxes in Canada. Canadian Payroll Services will deduct and remit payroll taxes for you, as well as making mandatory employer contributions. We will issue you a T4 and T2200 during tax season so that you can file your taxes in Canada without trouble.

Many remote workers don’t just work out of their homes, but also travel in Canada and the US for work. Whether you’re conducting site visits, attending conferences, or meeting with clients, occasionally travelling in Canada and the US won’t impact where and how much taxes you pay. However, if you spend substantial amounts of time working outside of Canada, you should consult your accountant about potential tax impacts.

No! You only need to be eligible to work in Canada and have a valid SIN. You can work remotely from Canada for a US company without a work visa. As a remote worker hired through an employer of record, you are not working in the US, even if you are working for a US company.

No matter where your employer, our client, is based, Employer of Record employees are eligible for all Canadian protected leaves including maternity leave, parental leave, and sick leave. We will make contributions to EI on your behalf and provide an ROE Record of Employment to the CRA when you apply for a protected leave and EI benefits.

No matter where your employer is based, your employment will be handled according to the employee standards/labour code of the province you live in.