Can you work remotely from Canada if your H1-B expires?

Many H-1B holders consider immigrating to Canada when their H-1B visas near expiry. Unfortunately, this often means losing out on a good opportunity or leaving a job. If your current US employer is willing to continue your employment as a remote worker in Canada, once you have secured a permanent residency in Canada they can partner with a Canadian-based Professional Employment Organization, who will be your new employer of record.

As your employer of record, Canadian Payroll Services would hire and then contract you out to your now former employer. You keep your old job – the only difference is that we handle paying you. As an employer partner, we ensure that you are paid on time and in compliance with Canadian employment laws.

We take on the administrative aspects of Canadian employment so that you can keep on doing what you do best.

As a Canadian permanent resident, you will need to get a US-issued B1/B2 multiple entry visitor visas in order for you to cross back into the US to meet your US employer for occasional business meetings (assuming your H1-B expires). This B1/B2 visa is straight-forward to get but doesn’t permit you to work on US soil. However, you can use it for business meetings with your current US employer (now officially your client), and to attend trade conferences and training seminars in the US.

Share this page

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

2 thoughts on “Can you work remotely from Canada if your H1-B expires?”